Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Choices We Face

My favorite author, Terry Pratchett, found out he has Alzheimer's in 2008.  Without even asking my opinion, he has decided to consider the option of assisted suicide.  He made a documentary on it.  This is a clip from it which shows the first broadcast assisted suicide in the UK.  I have no idea if we've had them in the US.

The idea of being content and resolved enough to take your own life is fascinating to me.  Not angsty teenaged depression suicide, but this life holds no more good things suicide.  For me it seems like it would HAVE to be a "I have accomplished every possible thing I ever considered accomplishing including boning Henry Rollins" sort of situation.  It's just beyond real comprehension. 

I really hope they show the full documentary in the US at some point.  I ALSO hope they find a cure/management for Alzheimer's sometime very soon.  1.  Because my chances of getting it are preeeetty good and 2.  Because I want more Discworld books. 


 CNN article on documentary
Terry Pratchett interview

No comments:

Post a Comment