Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Turn, Turn, Turn

This summer is going to be a busy one.  Not only do I have road trips planned out the wazoo, (I feel like that word should have more letters) Girl Roommate and I have big plans for the backyard.  As in, we will turn it into a place that we actually use, instead of just walk through. 

My first exciting project will be taking down the back patio.  It looks weird back there, we hardly use it, and frankly, it takes up about 1/4 of my yard.  I'm SUPER stoked to buy a sledgehammer and pry bar.  I feel like this will end up being an exercise in destruction futility, but I'm still excited.  Then there will be grass planted, bushes planted, and a real seating area fixed up, complete with fire pit.  Luckily I have Girl Roommate to help motivate me, because if you know me at all you know motivation is NOT my middle name. 

Next, we will be fencing the yard.  Hopefully we can hire someone to do this, because talk about pain in the ass, but if not that will be our super big summer project.  Take down the old gross picket and put up chain link.  Then cover the chain link in prettiness.  Weeping Willow bushes, climbing roses, honeysuckle, hostas.  It's gonna be amazeballs. 

One thing that I keep forgetting is that this house is MINE.  All mine.  Nobody else's.  If I want to destroy something, I have every right to do it.  I can rip up carpet, paint the walls a million times, cover the fridge in stickers, tear down the superfluous deck, plant bushes, take out bushes, bust down walls, add jellyfish light fixtures, all or none of these things.  I've lived in this house almost 2 years and other than some bad ass artwork, I haven't really put MY stamp on it.  Part of the reason for this is money, but a lot of that is an excuse.  I have a mindset that I need to be careful because someone will get mad at me for fucking things up.

But they WON'T.

Isn't that amazing?  No one will give a shit!!  I have no one to answer to except myself, my finances, and the codes administrator.  (That's a thing, right?)

Now if only I knew how to do things...

No comments:

Post a Comment